Several Carle Illinois College of Medicine students participated in the 17th annual Research Day at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign. Three Carle Illinois students received awards at the event, representing categories spanning the Poster Presentation, Overall Student, Best in Poster, Clinical Research, and Best Oral Vignettes.
“Having the opportunity to participate in the UICOM Research day was such an incredible experience. I really enjoyed learning about all the different research avenues at this campus,” said Christina Moawad, Carle Illinois student and winner of the overall student category. “I am very grateful to my mentors at Flinders University, John Costi and Dhara Amin for their continued support and assistance. Receiving these awards was exciting, and I am very thankful to the UICOM Research Day committee for their consideration.”
The event highlights the breadth of the research activities taking place within the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign, and for the first time, event participation was extended to include the Carle Illinois College of Medicine students. The event took place on March 8, 2019 at the I-Hotel and Conference center in Champaign, Illinois, and the theme of the event was Embracing Wellness and Professional Fulfillment: Ensuring the Future of Health Care.
The awards for the 2019 Research Day are as follows:
- Pallavi Pradeep: Acute Adrenal Insufficiency As A Presentation Of Anti-phospholipid Syndrome
- James Skinner: Sulfasalazine induced aseptic meningitis
- Sugandhi Mahajan & Luna Khanal: An Unusual Case of Pneumococcal Sepsis Complicated by Effusive Constrictive Pericarditis
- *Christina Moawad: Ex-Vivo Analysis of Intervertebral Disc Internal Strain During Repetitive Lifting Motions
- Samuel Irving: A rare cause of altered mental status in a young patient
- Tied for 3rd:
- Alexandra Smick: Lipschütz ulcers associated with acute EBV and CMV co-infection
- Rachel Waldermer-Streyer: A Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing? A case of subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus
- *Elizabeth Woodburn: Adaptation of a smartphone spectrometer system to analyze urine dipsticks
Best in Poster Category
*Student: Elizabeth Woodburn: Adaptation of a smartphone spectrometer system to analyze urine dipsticks
Student: Samuel Irving: A rare cause of altered mental status in a young patient
Resident: Pallavi Pradeep: Acute Adrenal Insufficiency As A Presentation Of Anti-phospholipid Syndrome
*Student: Christina Moawad: Ex-Vivo Analysis of Intervertebral Disc Internal Strain During Repetitive Lifting Motions
Best Oral Vignette
Resident: Sana Grover, MD: A Rare Case of Dasatinib Induced Chylothorax
*Student: Yusi Gong: Validation of the Fitbit Charge 2 Compared to the ActiGraph GT3X+ in Older Adults with Knee Osteoarthritis in Free-Living Conditions
*Denotes Carle Illinois College of Medicine student.