SPHERES (Sparking High Schoolers’ Excitement for Research in Engineering and Science) is a dynamic research program for high school students in Champaign-Urbana.
As a SPHERES participant, you will:
- Participate in an authentic research experience at a world-class research university, under the mentorship of a faculty member.
- Participate in weekly seminars on various topics including research projects, college-readiness, and scientific communication.
- Become acclimated to a university setting, form a science identity by conducting basic and applied research in Illinois’ Bioengineering labs, and gain confidence in attending college.
- Receive multiple layers of mentorship, through faculty, graduate students, undergraduate students and SPHERES staff.
Program Information and Qualifications:
- The 2018 SPHERES program will take place from June 18-July 27.
- Accepted participants will be from Champaign Unit 4 or Urbana District 116.
- Students must be 16 or older and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- You can view the 2018 program calendar here.
How to Apply:
- Applications are now closed for the 2018 program. Please check back in the fall to apply for the 2019 summer program.
Contact us to learn more: