SpHERES (Sparking High Schoolers’ Excitement for Research in Engineering and Science) is a dynamic research program for high school students in Champaign-Urbana.
As a SpHERES participant, you will:
- Participate in an authentic research experience at a world-class research university, under the mentorship of a faculty member.
- Participate in weekly seminars on various topics including research projects, college-readiness, and scientific communication.
- Become acclimated to a university setting, form a science identity by conducting basic and applied research in Illinois’ Bioengineering labs, and gain confidence in attending college.
- Receive multiple layers of mentorship, through faculty, graduate students, undergraduate students and SpHERES staff.
Program Information and Qualifications:
- The 2021 SpHERES program will be offered June 14 to July 30. We expect that applications will be accepted during the month of March 2021. Exact dates are to be determined, and will be posted here when available.