SpHERES (Sparking High Schoolers’ Excitement for Research in Engineering and Science) is a dynamic research program for high school students in Champaign-Urbana.
As a SpHERES participant, you will:
- Participate in an authentic research experience at a world-class research university, under the mentorship of a faculty member.
- Participate in weekly seminars on various topics including research projects, college-readiness, and scientific communication.
- Become acclimated to a university setting, form a science identity by conducting basic and applied research in Illinois’ Bioengineering labs, and gain confidence in attending college.
- Receive multiple layers of mentorship, through faculty, graduate students, undergraduate students and SpHERES staff.
Program Information and Qualifications:
- The 2019 SpHERES program will take place from June 17 – July 26, 2019. Participants will be paid $2,000 (taxable) for the 6-week program.
- Students must be 16 or older and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- SpHERES is a non-residential research opportunity for local students who can travel to and from campus on a daily basis. (The program will take place Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Bus passes can be provided by the program.)
- Underrepresented minorities and girls are encouraged to apply, as a program goal is to increase diversity in the STEM pipeline.
- Applications will be accepted until April 1, 2019.