- The University Board of Trustees requires all students to be covered by health insurance, either through a program provided by the University or one determined to be equivalent to that offered by the University.
- If a student wishes to be exempted from the Health Insurance Fee, an exemption application must be completed and approved within the Insurance Enrollment Change Period for the semester a student wishes to be exempt from the fee. Health insurance that is presented to request an exemption must be deemed equivalent to the Student Insurance Plan by the Student Insurance Office and must be in force on the first day of coverage for the Student Insurance Plan in the semester in which an exemption is being requested.
- More information about the University’s student health insurance requirements can be found in Article 2-103 of the Student Code.
- Medical students will be assessed two health-related fees:
- The health service fee that is included in the tuition and fee payment allows students to use the McKinley Student Health Center and the Counseling Center on campus.
- The Student Hospital/Medical/Surgical Insurance Plan fee. This insurance plan, which is administered by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign insurance office, provides coverage if a hospital or physician services OUTSIDE of student health care must be used.
- More information about the student insurance policy is available on the Office of Student Health Insurance website.
- Long-Term Disability Insurance will be made available to all students.
McKinley Student Health Center
The health service fee that is included in the tuition and fee payment allows students to use the McKinley Student Health Center and Counseling Center on campus. Services provided at McKinley include care by a doctor, nurse or mid-level practitioner; diagnostic procedures such as x -rays and laboratory tests; low-cost or no-cost medications if prescribed by a McKinley provider and dispensed by the McKinley Pharmacy; preventive health, health education, and mental health services; women’s health clinic; and SportWell services. The fee does not pay for care provided or prescriptions filled outside McKinley Health Center, travel immunizations, or immunizations required for enrollment (although the costs may be greatly reduced compared to other sources). Additional information is available on the McKinley Student Health Center website.
The Counseling Center is committed to providing a range of services intended to help students develop improved coping skills to address emotional, interpersonal, and academic concerns. The Counseling Center provides individual, couples, and group counseling. All of these services are paid for through the health services fee. While the Counseling Center offers primarily short-term counseling, it does provide referrals to the community when students could benefit from longer term services. Additional information is available on the Counseling Center website.