Jacinda Kay Dariotis
Biomedical and Translational Sciences
Biomedical and Translational Sciences
For More Information
- Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University, 2005
- M.A.S., Pennsylvania State University, 2005
- M.S., Pennsylvania State University, 2002
- M.A., Columbia University, 1999
- B.A., Vassar College, 1998
- Director, Family Resiliency Center, UIUC
- The Pampered Chef Endowed Chair in Family Resiliency, UIUC
- Professor, Human Development and Family Studies, UIUC
- Health Innovation Professor, Carle Illinois College of Medicine, 2022-present
- Faculty Affiliate, Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, UIUC
- Faculty Affiliate, Personalized Nutrition Initiative, UIUC
- Faculty, School of Education, Research Methods, U. of Cincinnati (UC), 2015-2020
- Director, Evaluation Services Center & Institute for Interdisciplinary Data Sciences, UC, 2015-2020
- Faculty, Population, Family, and Reproductive Health, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, 2005-2014
Other Professional Activities
- Board Member, National Prevention Science Coalition, 2015-present
- Risk-Taking Decision-Making and Behaviors
- Emotional Regulation and Executive Cognitive Functioning
- Mindful Yoga and Mindfulness-Based Programs
- Stress Reactivity and Coping
- Research and Evaluation Methods - Survey, Quantitative, Qualitative, Mixed Methods, Community-Based Participatory Research
- Biosocial Methods and Determinants
- Prevention and Translational Science
- Public Health
Chapters in Books
- Dariotis, J.K., & Fishbein, D. (in press). Mindful Yoga (MY) for Grade School Students. In Tyler Renshaw (Ed.), Using Mindfulness to Promote Mental Health in Schools, Oxford University Press.
- Pierre, T.S., & Dariotis, J.K. (2005). Understanding Low Fertility: The Impact of Life-Course Competition on Fertility Behavior in Developed Nations (Chapter 17; pp. 235-250). In Alan Booth & Ann C. Crouter, The New Population Problem: Why Families in Developed Countries are Shrinking and What It Means. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- McHale, S.M., Dariotis, J.K., & Kauh, T.J. (2003). Social development and social relationships in middle childhood. In R. M. Lerner, M. A. Easterbrooks, J. Mistry, & I. B. Weiner (Eds.), Handbook of Psychology: Volume 6 Developmental Psychology (pp. 241-266). New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Dariotis, J.K., Mabisi, K., Jackson-Gordon, R., Rose, E., Fishbein, D.H., & Mendelson, T. (2023). Perceived Benefits of Mindfulness and Health Education Programs among Minoritized Adolescents: A Qualitative Analysis. Mindfulness. 1-16.
- Dariotis, J.K., Chen, F.R., [Co-First Authors], Park, Y.R., Nowak, M.K., French, K., & Codamon, A.M. (2023). Parentification Vulnerability, Reactivity, Resilience, and Thriving: A Mixed Methods Systematic Literature Review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 20, 6197.
- Ruhland, E. Johnson, L., Pelly, C., Bess, S., Moore, J., & Dariotis, J.K. (2023). Positionality, Intersectionality, Power Dynamics in Community Participatory Research to Define Public Safety in Black Communities. Journal of Community Psychology.
- Berdychevsky, L., Cavanaugh, D., & Dariotis, J.K. (2023). Psychological, Socio-Demographic, and Logistical Determinants of Changes in Sex Life during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy. 35(2), 263-283.
- Dariotis, J. K., Mabisi, K., Jackson-Gordon, R., Yang, N., Rose, E. J., Mendelson, T., & Fishbein, D. H. (2023). Implementing Adolescent Wellbeing and Health Programs in Schools: Insights from a Mixed Methods and Multiple Informant Study. Prevention Science, 24(4), 663-675.
- Johnson, L., Pelly, C., Ruhland, E., Bess, S., Dariotis, J. K., & Moore, J. (2022) [collectively first co-authors]. Reclaiming Safety: Participatory Research, Community Perspectives, and Possibilities for Transformation, Stanford Journal of Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, 18(2), 191-223.
- Jackson-Gordon, R., Dariotis, J.K., Fisher, B.S., & Dickman-Burnett, V.L. (2022). Implementing sexual violence primary prevention programs: A case study of implementer perspectives. Journal of Youth Development, 17(4). 126-144.
- Dariotis, J. K., Sloane, S. M., & Smith, R. L. (2021). I took it off most of the time 'cause I felt comfortable: Unmasking, trusted others, and lessons learned from a coronavirus disease 2019 reinfection: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports, 15(1), 1-7.
- Dariotis, J. K., & Chen, F. R. (2020). Stress Coping Strategies as Mediators: Toward a Better Understanding of Sexual, Substance, and Delinquent Behavior-Related Risk-Taking among Transition-Aged Youth. Deviant Behavior, 1-18.
- Moore, J., Plano Clark, V. L., Foote, L. A., & Dariotis, J. K. (2020). Attorney-client communication in public defense: A qualitative examination. Criminal Justice Policy Review, 31(6), 908-938.
- Dariotis, J. K., Mabachi, N. M., & Kessler, S. F. (2019). HIV Status Disclosure Paradox: Implications of HIV Disclosure on Safer Sexual Practices among Women Living with HIV/AIDS. J Women's Health Care, 8(454), 2167-0420.
- Fishbein, D. H., & Dariotis, J. K. (2019). Personalizing and optimizing preventive intervention models via a translational neuroscience framework. Prevention Science, 20(1), 10-20.
- Dariotis, J. K., & Clark, V. L. P. (2017). The Use of Evaluation to Establish an Evidence Base, Lessons Learned, and Realistic Picture of Program and Policy Implementation and Sustainability: Ohio as an Exemplar for Education Transformation. International Journal of Educational Reform, 26(3), 204-208.
- Dariotis, J. K., Cluxton-Keller, F., Mirabal-Beltran, R., Gould, L. F., Greenberg, M. T., & Mendelson, T. (2016). "The program affects me 'cause it gives away stress": Urban students' qualitative perspectives on stress and a school-based mindful yoga intervention. Explore, 12(6), 443-450.
- Dariotis, J. K., Chen, F. R., & Granger, D. A. (2016). Latent trait testosterone among 18-24 year olds: Methodological considerations and risk associations. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 67, 1-9.
- Pampered Chef Ltd. Endowed Chair in Family Resiliency. (2020-present)
- Center for Clinical and Translational Science and Training (CCTST) Academic-Community Research Partnership Award (2018)
Public Service Honors
- Core Value Awardee, Office of Research, University of Cincinnati (2018)
- Academic Leadership Program (ALP) Fellow (nominated), Big Ten Academic Alliance (BTAA). (2022-2023)
- Health Innovation Professor, Carle Illinois College of Medicine, (2022-2027)
Recent Courses Taught
- HDFS 581 - Participatory Research Methods
- HDFS 595 - Survey Research Methodology