Three health experts will trace the evolution of healthcare innovation over time at the 19th Annual Health Innovation Research Day at Carle Illinois College of Medicine. The virtual conference scheduled for Friday, April 16, is part of Innovation Week and highlights “Innovations in Health: Past, Present, and Future.”
Research Day 2021 combines presentations by three experts, a poster presentation session and competition for developing researchers, and an opportunity to create dialogue over ideas, scholarship, and research. Anyone with an interest in medical research and innovation is invited to register here.
Plenary session speakers include:
- “Health Inequities and the Making of Race: A Short History,” presented by Rana Hogarth, Ph.D., author, and professor of history at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign;
- “Protecting Brain Development for the Sake of Mental Health,” presented by Hanna Stevens,
M.D., Ph.D., associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Iowa; and
- “The Future of Medical Innovation and Education: How We Can Prepare the Future Clinicians Today” presented by Anthony Chang, M.D., M.P.H., a pediatric cardiologist, entrepreneur, as well as Chief Intelligence and Innovation Officer (CIIO), and Medical Director of the Heart Failure Program at Children’s Hospital of Orange County, Calif.
The conference also will showcase the work of medical students from Carle Illinois and the
University of Illinois College of Medicine, medical residents, and fellows during brief podium presentations and a poster session and contest. Poster presentations are divided into three categories: “Clinical Case Reports,” “Public Health, Humanities, and Ethics,” and “Research and Innovation.” The competition allows developing researchers an opportunity to share their research while connecting with and getting valuable input from attendees and a panel of seasoned experts.
Carle Illinois has taken the lead in organizing and co-hosting the Health Innovation Research day, along with the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign and Carle Graduate Medical Education.
Other events on the Innovation Week 2021 schedule include:
- Wednesday, April 14: Awards ceremony for the campus-wide Cozad New Venture Challenge, a competition designed to spur students to collaboratively propose and create new start-up ventures;
- Thursday, April 15: IDEA Symposium, showcasing 3rd-year Carle Illinois students’ technological solutions to healthcare challenges, generated through their clinical and engineering rounds;
- Saturday, April 17: The Carle Illinois 2021 Health Make-A-Thon competition in which twenty teams of finalists will pitch their ideas to improve health to a panel of judges. Ten winning teams will receive $10,000 in support to transform their idea into a working product prototype or process.